[Cdt-l] Lordsburg to Silver City route question

rubacava at charter.net rubacava at charter.net
Mon Feb 25 22:33:20 CST 2008

Hi all,

I am laying out my route from CC monument to Silver City for a section hike in early May.  I just received the Johnathan Ley CDT 2008 CD which has, by the way, some vast improvements in the maps.  I also have looked at the route for southern New Mexico at the spiriteaglehome.com web site.  I see the Spiriteagle route north of Lordsburg goes off the highway at some point and heads east toward the mouth of Engineer Canyon.  I thought the Spiriteagle route was a route that had been worked out with the help of the BLM and did not have any private property issues.

J Ley in his 2008 maps shows a different route, mostly road walking to the mouth of Engineer Canyon.  He mentions some property issues regarding that area from the highway to the mouth of Engineer Canyon.  Can anyone shed some light on the route north of Lordsburg?

John Allen