[Cdt-l] Trekking Poles

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Tue Jan 1 19:14:53 CST 2008

Just to add to what Jim said...

- If you climb up/down a long staircase & there's a handrail available,
do you use the handrail? probably... if you think of hiking poles as
portable handrails, they become a lot more logical.

- I find I hike a little faster with poles because they help me
hop/vault over little obstacles in the trail, like rocks, roots, etc.
and give me more options wrt/ where to put my feet. This makes the whole
hiking rhythm smoother for me.

- you can use poles to "vault" yourself over streams, allowing you to
cross slightly wider streams without getting your feet wet.

- They'll keep your fingers/hands from swelling up. Sure, you can put
your hands through thumb loops to help with the same thing...

- Poles are a huge help when walking on packed snow. They aren't meant
to act as self-arrest tools, but can greatly reduce the slipping and
sliding of your feet, which can improve one's efficiency tremendously...
and prevent falls. Plus, they give you something to brace yourself with
when you're sliding off/down a snowbank.

-Jonathan