[Cdt-l] A couple of questions

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 23:09:59 CST 2008

Mike -
I do remember you.  But it's been a while - welcome back.

Anyway - leaving the first of April would give you 10 or 11 weeks to walk through New Mexico if
you're gonna leave Chama about June 15.  Even in a "low" snow year leaving Chama earlier carries
a high probability of facing big-time snow north of Cumbres Pass.  In a normal or high snow year,
the probability your having to roadwalk around the San Juans really escalates.  You DON'T want to do that.  The San Juans are one of the many highlights of the hike - roadwalking and missing that part of the trip would really suck.

Do you really hike that slow?  <G>

For the dog thing - you'll find my take on the subject here - http://spiriteaglehome.com/bb%20dogs.html

Walk softly,
Jimhttp://www.spiriteaglehome.com/

From: cryptobranchidae at hotmail.comTo: cdt-l at backcountry.netDate: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 15:08:17 -0600Subject: [Cdt-l] A couple of questions

Hi All, My name's Michael Cravens and I'm from St. Louis, MO.  I have only posted one other time here previously so I'm sure most won't recognize me; still, I would be grateful for a bit of advice.  A friend and I are planning a CDT northbound thruhike for this year and I have a couple of questions.  First, is it unreasonable to plan on starting the first of April and taking our time getting through New Mexico? Secondly, I'm aware that Justin Lichter was accompanied by his dog on the trail, and I plan on trying to get in touch with him, but does anyone here know of any other dogs that have thruhiked the CDT?  Thanks very much, Mikehttp://michaelcravens.comcryptobranchidae@hotmail.com

i’m is proud to present Cause Effect, a series about real people making a difference. Learn more