[Cdt-l] CDT Southern Terminus Project Survey

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Mon Jan 7 14:45:57 CST 2008

I filled-out the form... and just thought I'd share some of my thoughts
with the CDT-L for fun... :-).
-Jonathan

1. In your opinion, what purpose should the Southern Terminus serve?
The terminus is basically "in the middle of nowhere", and I think it
will primarily be visited by people who are interested in hiking large
sections of the trail, and other people who are already aware of the
CDT. As such, I think it should primarily serve that audience.

2. What features should be included at the Southern Terminus site?
If I had to design it, it'd consist of a giant brushed stainless steel /
stenciled CDT "triangle emblem", probably about 6-8 feet across, and
elevated on a post about 20 feet from the ground. Given the landscape in
the area, this would be visible for miles... I'd add a small metal box
to the back for a trail register.

3. What important environmental, cultural, or historical aspects should
be incorporated in the site?
I think it should only be just about the trail itself. While these other
things are important, there are plenty of other monuments, exhibits,
etc. about them. Adding "other things" to the terminus marker would
detract from focus on the trail.

7. What should be included in information provided at the site?
Just the trail register, and maybe a small inscription/message to
indicate "Southern Terminus of the Continental Divide Trail" with a
brief description of the trail. This should be small and not detract
from the terminus structure itself.