[Cdt-l] CDT Southern Terminus Project Survey

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Mon Jan 7 14:56:19 CST 2008

Ya, I'm probably thinking too big. Such a thing would be expensive...
and it'd have to withstand some pretty powerful winds. Plus, I'm afraid
it'd be a target for "renegade recyclers" from either side of the
border. But, I think it'd be pretty cool... especially reflecting the
setting sun...

-Jonathan

Patrick Beggan wrote:
> [...]
>
>> I filled-out the form... and just thought I'd share some of my
>> thoughts with the CDT-L for fun... :-).
>> -Jonathan
>>
>> 1. In your opinion, what purpose should the Southern Terminus serve?
>> The terminus is basically "in the middle of nowhere", and I think it
>> will primarily be visited by people who are interested in hiking
>> large sections of the trail, and other people who are already aware
>> of the CDT. As such, I think it should primarily serve that audience.
>>
>> 2. What features should be included at the Southern Terminus site?
>> If I had to design it, it'd consist of a giant brushed stainless
>> steel / stenciled CDT "triangle emblem", probably about 6-8 feet
>> across, and elevated on a post about 20 feet from the ground. Given
>> the landscape in the area, this would be visible for miles... I'd add
>> a small metal box to the back for a trail register.
>>
>> 3. What important environmental, cultural, or historical aspects
>> should be incorporated in the site?
>> I think it should only be just about the trail itself. While these
>> other things are important, there are plenty of other monuments,
>> exhibits, etc. about them. Adding "other things" to the terminus
>> marker would detract from focus on the trail.
>>
>> 7. What should be included in information provided at the site?
>> Just the trail register, and maybe a small inscription/message to
>> indicate "Southern Terminus of the Continental Divide Trail" with a
>> brief description of the trail. This should be small and not detract
>> from the terminus structure itself.
>>

>> Josh Shusko wrote:
>>>

>>>   CDT Southern Terminus Project
>>>
>>> /What would you like to see at the southern end of the CDT?/
>>>
>>> The Continental Divide Trail Alliance is designing the site for the
>>> Southern Terminus for the CDNST at the New Mexico – Mexico border in
>>> cooperation with our agency partners (BLM, USFS, NPS). The Northern
>>> Terminus for the CDNST, located in Glacier Waterton International
>>> Peace Park on the Canada – Montana border is marked with a single
>>> concrete pillar. In designing the landmark for the Southern
>>> Terminus, we are providing an opportunity for our many important
>>> stakeholders who may have thoughts or ideas about this site to be
>>> involved in this process.
>>>
>>> Provide your input as CDTA and the federal land managers work
>>> together to design the Southern Terminus of the Continental Divide
>>> Trail. By involving key stakeholders, volunteers and Trail
>>> supporters in this effort, we hope to create a fitting symbol for
>>> this national treasure and for the epic journey it represents. All
>>> work is slated for completion by the end of 2008.
>>>
>>> Take the brief survey here:
>>> http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=l7rEOhCjyCFvTlN7NzQzug_3d_3d
>>>
>>> Please complete this survey by *January 21st, 2008* so we can start
>>> the design and construction phases of this project.
>>>
>>> Please forward this survey to others who may be interested.
>>>
>>> /Check back to this page for updates on the project:

>>> Fax: (303) 838-3960