[Cdt-l] Stephen pern and His Great Divide Walk

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 12:16:11 CST 2008

Doug -
Re: Pern's book - I believe the words to keep in mind are "literary license".

He may or may not have walked the actual Divide right from the border - but in those days it was the Gray Ranch
and hikers were not welcome.  Later, that first section became Nature Conservancy land and hikers were even
less welcome. Not sure who actually owns the land now - but hikers are even less welcome now than at any time
in the past.  In addition to being at greater risk of "encounters of the illegal" kind.

This was discussed at some length on cdt-l last year (Jan 2007).

There have been a number of people who've intended or attempted to walk "THE DIVIDE" all the way - but there
are a LOT of land ownership issues and a LOT of places where doing so requires technical climbing gear and experience.
In 2006 we did hike with a couple who evidently belonged to a group that hikes the Colorado Divide (not the Trail) -
and gets a T-shirt for doing so. But we have no details about that.
Walk softly,
Jimhttp://www.spiriteaglehome.com/