[Cdt-l] Stephen pern and His Great Divide Walk

Doug Carlson doug-sue71 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 11 15:40:59 CST 2008

Jim, I remember the discussion from last year.  I was thinking that maybe there was an easier time on the divide, or perhaps a route a little west of the divide more in the Animas Range.

He bypassed Deming and hiked strait to Silver City where he left his first resupply box.  Is that still doable from the other two starting points?

He mentioned two sisters that were hiking a month or two ahead of him.  I am still trying to determine when the earliest starting date for a nobo hike is- to beat the heat as much as possible.  I would not mind hiking NM earlier in the spring and then taking a break while snow melts in the San Juans.

Anyway, I do like Pern's book.  Reminds me a lot of the book Where the Waters Divide.
-RD