[Cdt-l] Snow in northern Wyoming

thomas hogeboom thogeboom at fairpoint.net
Mon Jul 7 12:47:24 CDT 2008

I just completed a section of the CDT from Old Faithful to Togwotee
Lodge.  There is a lot of snow above 8500 feet, and a lot of runoff.
Some fords are not doable, and you may have to be flexible with your
route to get thru.  Some creeks are over their banks with snowmelt.
Others that are described in the guidebook as boulder-hops or ankle deep
are knee to thigh deep.  I successfully avoided two fords of the Snake
River by bushwhacking 3 miles along the north bank (I recommend this at
least until water levels drop significantly).  At the Plateau Creek ford,
I made it three quarters of the way across in good shape, but went chest
deep in the last two steps.  I lunged for the far bank as the current was
sweeping me away and gripped onto some grass tufts on top.  The current
yanked me off that, but I quick regripped and was able to haul myself
out.  The adrenaline rush powered my hiking for the next several miles,
as you might imagine...

I'm planning on trying to hike from Togwotee Lodge to Lander thru the
Winds.  Wish me luck, I'll need it.  Hope to see some of you soon.

Tim Hogeboom (from the library in Dubois)