[Cdt-l] BenchMark Mystery

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 11 23:09:32 CDT 2008

We've used Benchmark for both our hikes - and had no particular problem with the maildrops.  They
had metal bearproof boxes that were on the front porch two years ago.  Our boxes - along with
others - were inside those metal boxes.

Mailing address - check either here: http://spiriteaglehome.com/cdt06%20miles.html#benchmark

or (preferably) here: http://visitmt.com/categories/moreinfo.asp?IDRRecordID=637&siteid=1

The Post Office DOES NOT accept UPS packages.  Use the Fairfield address. We used Beverly's home
address - NOT the PO Box.  But you should be using Darwin Heckman's home address as was given
on cdt-l some time ago as well as on the Benchmark website.

The Bob is not really easy under any circumstances, regardless of time of year.  But it's particularly
difficult in spring because of snow, snowmelt, stream crossings, and mud.  In a high snow year it's definitely
harder than the Sierras - especially since usually nobody else is out there to provide tracks to follow -
or help if you need it.  We spent six days without seeing a human footprint - and very nearly lost Ginny
because of a bad fall.  It kinda brought home the real meaning of "wiilderness".

Augusta is OK for resupply but getting in and out of town can sometimes be a problem.  Especially early
season when the trails are still deep in snow and mud - and before the outfitters season opens.  Another
reason for not starting the trail too early.

Walk softly,
Jim
http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 10:14:02 -0700From: debins97214 at yahoo.comTo: cdt-l at backcountry.netSubject: [Cdt-l] BenchMark Mystery

The BenchMark Mystery

We mailed our check 3 weeks ago ( they have not received it ) to the  PO Box 190. ( As was advised in the Yogi book )

I just called Beverly  at 406-562-3336 to ask which address (among three) should i send our box to.

Benchmark Road # 1, Augusta, Mt
or
422 county Line Road C/o Darwin or Shellie Heckman ( we got this address and heads up off of the CDT - L )
or
Po Box 190, Augusta, Mt

Beverly assured us to send our UPS package it to the PO Box 190 address (I didn't think that Ups delivered to PO Boxes? )  - she said she's been doing this for 30 years,and doesn't understand what the confusion is.  She also, of course, can't find our check soo naturally,...... We are CONFUSED?!?!

Any one have any solid information about this?

One Box, Two Box, Here and Box, There a Box, Where's your Box?

Thanks, Jeff, Debi and Matt

“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”

Albert Einstein