[Cdt-l] National Scenic Trail Status

Karen Somers kborski at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 14:51:23 CDT 2008

Jeff,

I have authored a guidebook for East Texas' 100-mile Lone Star Trail (LST), which has National Recreation Trail Status.  I understand a bit about the definitions regarding the types of status (national vs. recreation).  However, you may want to contact someone involved with the LST; I have contacts, both federal and nonprofit, if you are interested.

Texas is way overdue and VERY under-utilized when it comes to long distance hiking trails.  The LST is by far the longest marked trail in the state.  For a state of its size with so much scenery and diversity, this is a shame.  Good luck with your efforts for a Hill Country Trail.

Karen Somers
AT'98, PCT'04, CDT'07 (almost!)