[Cdt-l] Solo hiking

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 11:37:13 CDT 2008

Shane,

I too started on July 1st. With the exception of 2 days with Sidewinder around Lincoln, I hiked solo pretty much until the Basin.

I was not concerned about hiking in grizzly country alone. I made sure I followed standard bear practices (using the poles in Glacier and Yellowstone, not camping/eating in the same spot in such areas as "The Bob").  I did not carry bear spray for whatever that is worth.

I did see a griz just outside of camera range in the Bob.

I loved starting July 1st as it made most the Highline trail accessible in the park. Hiking solo makes everything intense; I suggest it to anyone who wants to experience the CDT in its most raw form.

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com