[Cdt-l] Like to hear from the veterans on this

shane wohlken darkbodhi at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 25 17:32:41 CDT 2008

Thank you to everyone who e-mailed me regarding my question about solo hiking in grizzly country.  On the whole, I feel very comfortable solo hiking and don't feel particularly worried about bear country in general, having backpacked for about 15 years in both black bear and grizzly country (but always with a partner in the latter).  On the other hand, I don't want to be stupid, and since grizzlies are not in my normal experience as an Ohioan, I thought it best to get a second opinion from those of you more in the know.  This is definitely a time when I would go along with the prevailing wisdom.

Thanks again,

Shane

P.S. Everyone who wrote felt that hiking solo in grizzly country shouldn't be much of an issue--assuming that the solo hiker followed proper bear country protocols.  I am still open to hearing opposing views, so feel free to e-mail them to me.