[Cdt-l] FW: Backpacker Magazine and CDT

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 6 23:08:12 CST 2008

Interesting -

A few comments -
1. The BLM realignment took place in 2005 - we hiked it in 2006 and the first 40 miles were
marked by 6"x8" white signs - starting at the border.  The only necessary cross-country
in this section was from Old Hachita to NM 9.
2. The directions to the trailhead will likely get one very lost - they're REALLY inadequate.
3. ". Head N on jeep track along barbed-wire international border fence" ????  Say what? - the trail
heads directly away from the border along the road you just drove in on.  Unless one is following
a different trail that the one the BLM signed.
4. "NM005: Keep L on jeep track; R goes to Sheridan Tank (unreliable water)"   Really???
The only way to do that is to be following the "guidebook" route - and that ain't the CDT - hasn't
been since August 2005.  Unless this has changed drastically (and that IS possible) the Sheridan
Canyon water cannot be termed "unreliable" by any stretch of the imagination.
5. "Cross through barbed-wire fence "  Really???   If they were on the marked trail there wouldn't
be any barbed wire fences to cross in this area.
6. "We missed this turn and hiked the road up near the old Hachita mining district."  This is the
old jeep road that the rerouted CDT follows.
7. "If you take a L, you'll get worthy 2-mile round-trip hike to the ghost town of Old Hachita"
I believe Old Hachita is private property and closed to hikers - which is the reason why the trail
 leaves the old jeep road that parallels the ridge and heads north.
8. "Here we met back up with the CDT signs "   Gotta wonder how they missed following the
CDT signs all the way from the border.
9. There isn't a single mention of water sources - neither verbal nor GPS location information.
Much less water quality information.

I think they followed the "guidebook" route and totally missed the fact that the trail
had been rerouted.  Which is utterly amazing since the signs for the reroute start at the border
and were obvious to the most casual obaserver all the way to Old Hachita.

What makes this even more amazing is that they did this in conjuntion with CDTA - and it was CDTA
that supplied the basic information that we used to make the decision to hike that route in 2006.
Gotta wonder why CDTA didn't give them the same information that we were given.

Bottom line - this mess would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

If you want "real" information try here: http://spiriteaglehome.com/bootheel.html

Notice that the FIRST photo is taken AT THE BORDER and clearly shows the FIRST CDT marker
directly behind the Crazy Cook Monument.  Follow the signs.

Walk softly,
Jimhttp://www.spiriteaglehome.com/

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 14:30:04 -0700From: bruce at cdtrail.orgTo: cdt-l at backcountry.netSubject: [Cdt-l] FW: Backpacker Magazine and CDT

They just revamped their website and posted the first section of the CDT from the southern terminus.

http://www.backpacker.com/

direct link to CDT section:
http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/backpacker/v2/trips_page.aspx?tripID=34030

Josh ShuskoCommunications AssistantContinental Divide Trail AlliancePO Box 628 Pine, CO 80470
Tel.  (303) 838-3760Fax: (303) 838-3960http://www.cdtrail.org