[Cdt-l] Flip-Flop Ideas for NOBO and Deep Snows

Bruce L. Nelson buck at bucktrack.com
Tue Mar 18 16:44:41 CDT 2008

Hi Folks,

Looking at the most recent information it looks like deep snow in northern NM and southern CO: ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/support/water/westwide/snowpack/wy2008/snow0803.gif

I still plan to hike NOBO, starting in late April at Columbus, because I want a longer hiking season to work with. I am willing to be extremely flexible, but definitely want to finish northbound at the Canadian border.

Given the latest snow information, where am I likely to hit the first hit deep snow?

Will the deep snows likely result in deep water on the Gila River route at that time of year?

If I temporarily skip a section of trail, what suggestions do people have for another long section, or sections, I can do while waiting for the deeper snows down south to melt? For example, if I head up to South Pass and hike south, how likely is it the deep snow will have mostly melted by the time I get to where it was?

How about skipping much farther north, say to the Butte area, then heading south?

I've done enough post-holing in my life to know that I want to avoid post-holing, so any other sensible options people can think of, I'd like to hear them!

Colter

My 1,000 Mile Hike and Paddle Across Alaska
http://www.bucktrack.com/Alaska_Brooks_Range_Traverse.html