[Cdt-l] Flip-Flop Ideas for NOBO and Deep Snows

Jeff Braun jbraun at vizsolutions.com
Tue Mar 18 22:44:15 CDT 2008

Don't know where you will first hit snow, but you will obviously hit
it in Colorado near Cumbres Pass.

I like your idea of heading south from South Pass City. That would
give it a couple of weeks to melt in northern Colorado where there is
closer to average snowpack. Heading directly to Butte is not going to
save you from much snow. You will be in the Pintlers pretty quick.
Starting a little further north out of Helena might help some, but it
is still likely you will hit some snow (I did in early June 2002 and
it was a drier year).

Rawlins is an ideal starting point if you take the bus. The bus stop
is just a few blocks from the "trail". This keeps it simple, you get
off and head south to New Mexico. Then return to Rawlins bus stop and
start walking north to Canada.

Now the real reason for the email - If you or anyone else is
interested, I want to hike the South Pass City to Rawlins segment
this June and we could possibly work out a shuttle which would allow
you to complete the trail south of South Pass City instead of
Rawlins. If someone is really interested in jumping around, I will be
headed to back to Butte afterwards where the trail should mostly be
free of snow if you head from Butte north to Canada.

If anyone ends up hiking north of Rawlins in early to mid June and
wants to work out some rides/shuttles feel free to email me directly.

I am also available to help with rides in the Butte area if you skip
the Anaconda cutoff.

Jeff