[Cdt-l] Where to begin

Caryl Bergeron caryl_bergeron at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 19 18:50:01 CDT 2008

We hiked the southern half of the trail in 2007 and are doing the northern half, Rawlins to Canada, this coming summer.  We'd like to start around June 1 but are trying to figure out a way to do it without dealing with all that snow, same issue as Colter has.  Starting at Rawlins and heading NOBO doesn't seem feasible at that time due to The Winds.

One idea we've heard is to start at Lemhi pass headed south to Rawlins, then get up to Glacier and head back south to Lemhi.  The main issue is getting into and out of Salmon Idaho may be difficult.  We hear the main advantage of that approach is the trail tends to be on the south side of the hills and, consequently, melts early.

On the other hand, transportation would be a lot easier in and out of Butte.  But we don't know what the snow situation would be in the Anaconda-Pintlers.  Does anyone know when the trail from Butte to Lemhi Pass is relatively snow free in a normal to slightly below normal snow year?  What about between Helena and Butte?

Cary