[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 6, Issue 17

Alistair and Gail Des Moulins aandg at telusplanet.net
Mon Mar 24 15:14:09 CDT 2008

  Some details on Jonathan's maps are hard to read when printed on regular
sized paper. So we carried a small magnifying glass to aid us see details of
the contours and other information. On many occasions we needed to ensure we
were still on route. An altimeter and the magnifying glass to see the map
details were very valuable at times.
  In New Mexico we used the maps in the CDTA guidebook in conjunction with
forest service maps for the Black Range and for the alternative routes
through El Malpais as in 2006 Jonathan did not have maps for those areas on
his CD. The maps in the CDTA books are not detailed and are not really
adequate for following the route.
  In other areas we only bought and carried the forest service maps when we
heard of there being a fire closure ahead. This enabled us to find
alternative routes round the fire perimeter. We carried the road map of the
appropriate state in case we'd have to leave the trail unexpectedly.
  We expect to back on the trail between late July and mid October this year
doing the section from Steamboat Springs, CO to Grants, NM which we did not
hike in 2006.

Alistair