[Cdt-l] Today's Best gps

joseph beals bealsjw at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 06:37:33 CDT 2008

I would have gotten lost on the tundra if I had relied
solely on my GPS E-compass; I found it was off
anywhere from 5-15 degrees.  Also you have to keep
them calibrated.  Using Garmin Etrex vista (original)
the batteries were good for around 4-5 hours of
continuous use.  The battery life depends alot on how
easilyit gets signals(much like a cell phone).  I
considered the GPS as my alternate map as well, mine
won't hold them all, oh well.  If you are going to use
a GPS extensively I would spring for the one with
largest screen possible, the maps are hard to use on
my vista.  I was constantly having to zoom-in and out.
 And fiinally the barometer feature is pretty
standard, but if you pay close attention to it you can
really learn the weather.  I had a friend who used to
be able to predict thunderstorms 2hr before they
arrived.  Good luck I hope this answered your Q's
-Joe