[Cdt-l] cdt thru hike in 08

Jeff Braun jbraun at vizsolutions.com
Sat Mar 29 00:49:18 CDT 2008

Chris,

While only 3" of snow have fallen in March at the Wolf Creek ski
area, there is still plenty of snow there. A quick look at some
snotel sites indicate 2008 snowpack is about 5% higher than 2005 for
this time of year at the north and south end of Colorado.  You might
check out Pony Express's journal to see what he encountered in 2005
heading north from Cumbres Pass:

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=103675

2005 was a very dry year up here in Montana, so most hikers headed
southbound. Montana's 2008 snowpack looks similar to 2006, so you
might check out some journals from that year. Not sure from your
question if you are concerned about Colorado's snowpack for
southbound hikers, but by the time you reach Colorado this winter's
snow will be gone. A southbound hike is definitely feasible.

Jeff