[Cdt-l] route planning--DeLorme Topo CD

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Fri May 2 23:56:12 CDT 2008

Thanks for the info on topofusion - hadn't heard of it. I've been
looking for something like that, but I really need a good "export"
option, that'll export a seamless map to a given pixel size (bigger than
a single screen).

Anyway, there are topo overlays for google earth as well. One which
works pretty well, is the one I've got integrated into my cdt.kml file at:
http://www.phlumf.com/travels/cdt/cdtkml.shtml
I've posted about that before... There are some screen-shots in case you
don't want to go through the trouble to load everything... Anyway, it's
pretty neat.

Also, you can integrate a topo overlay onto google maps, there are a few
websites that have this integrated. The postholer.com maps use this, as
does a local site - portlandhikers.com (click the maps link there). I
like the google maps interface as it's really easy to scroll around and
zoom in/out. One of the things I don't like about NG is the user
interface... (the scroll arrows and such).

Maybe some CDT hiker could walk the trail with a camera on his head, and
we could get a google map "street view" (trail view, I guess) of the
whole trail. That would be a riot.

-Jonathan