[Cdt-l] "Big snow year"

Jeff Braun jbraun at vizsolutions.com
Sun May 4 16:58:09 CDT 2008

It was not really that big a snow year in Montana, but rather a cool
spring has delayed the start of the spring run off. Antidotal
evidence was our highest heating usage for April in 10 years, while
local precipitation remains below normal.

Montana's snowpack was a little above normal on April 1st, now it 23%
above normal for the state of Montana. A quick glance through the May
1st snow surveys along the divide looks about the same - 10% to 25%
above normal. It has been since 1998 since there was roughly an
equivalent snowpack along the CDT for May 1st, with the exception of
2002 for very northern Montana which had a higher snowpack at this time.

To answer your question it would be helpful to know if you are going
to follow the Divide around Butte. If so, by the time you reach the
AP you will probably not need ice axe or crampons. I say probably
since a cool May and June could change that. Even if you take the
Anaconda cutoff, you doubt you will need the equipment, but you might
need to cross a few small snowfields, but I cannot think of any right
now that will cause you problems.

Jeff