[Cdt-l] gila mimbres deming columbus beta

Heesoo impulse04 at gmail.com
Sun May 4 21:34:54 CDT 2008

I've only got beta for the section from Deming to the border.

As of 5/3/08, the water tanks for Blue Water Well and the White Dome Well had water (Ley map Columbus 11).
On Ley map Columbus13, there is a note that says, "I found no evidence of trail or road south of this point. The road dead ended at a home." There is a road south of there but there is a fence and a house in the way. Instead of going through the fence and walking across private property, I backtracked and detoured southeast to near where the border patrol have a check point on highway 11. On the map, this is about 1.5 miles south of county road C014.

Overall, this section is relatively easy walking. I haven't seen a trail marker yet but the navigation is pretty straight forward. If you enjoy rocks, I'd recomend spending a few hours in Rockhound state park. You get to take what you find and there's some good agates there. Nothing like rocks in your pack, eh?

This weekend, I called one of the Gila ranger offices to get info on the Mimbres section. The guy that picked up the phone didn't have any water info. He did warn me about the rabid foxes though.

Have a good hike.