[Cdt-l] Guidebook Update

Jim Wolf mail at cdtsociety.org
Thu May 15 16:29:04 CDT 2008

Thanks to Boston and Cubby for this update from Ghost Ranch:

It is 0.54 miles from our tent to the dining hall over the "Mesa" which
includes a 75 foot ascent and 70 foot descent.

If this were to be described in Wolf's guide book, it would go something
like this: "From the tent, follow gravel road at contour. At 0.1m come
to a fork. Take the ascending left fork with better tread. Top out at
0.35m from which you will have 360 degree views of Ghost Ranch. Notice
the robins and Walkingstick-Cholla cacti. This would be a great place
for camping if it were not for the lack of water. Descend down the
single-track Canada del Switchbacks to 0.45 where you will go through a
gap between two adobe structures. From the gap you will have a view of
the dining hall, 0.54 miles."

Of course, this isn't truly accurate, if Wolf had written it, it would
be in southbound order and all northbounders would have to interpret it
backwards.

____

Please keep sending in your observations (they needn't be quite this
detailed) -- but we reserve the right to edit them. GPS coordinates for
important junctions, etc. would be helpful, too.

P.S. I'm looking forward to spending some time on the CDT in June and
July -- so if anyone wishes to obtain guidebooks, maps, etc., please try
to place your order by June 10.