[Cdt-l] New guy says hi and Who is on this list?

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 01:17:25 CST 2008

Hi Marshall
To answer your questions

>".Did you find Yogi's book helpful?"
I found Yogi's guide my most helpful resource yet.  Testimonies from a lot of humble triple crowners with recent trail experience of only Their own Experiences and no "You Gotta do it my way" attitudes.  No one trying to be better that the next guy, King or Queen, even though they earned Triple Crowns.  (What i call Truely royal presenting themselves to others)
There is one "You Gotta" Yogi pushes in her book and elsewhere.  You Gotta learn map and compass and practice, practice, practice and be prepared for the trail.  She is big on this particular Be Prepared stuff.
Yogi's my hero.

 >we are wondering what GPS to get. Suggestions? With or without maps? What did you get?
On top of pushing the map and compass, almost everyone in Yogi's guide carried a GPS.  Very much called an addition in Yogi's book and NOT a sub for map and compass.  Very much added safety.
I'd say get the book for details.
I ended up getting the Garmin Vista eTrek HCX (5.0 ozs with lithium batteries) by suggestion of my very last PCT hiking partner this year.  She works in the business and owns the same one.  More sensitive, color, has removable memory.

There's newer stuff out there with more features at 3 ozs more.  There's lighter stuff that gives enough info as long as you are ON the maps you carry.  I already know how to use Long/Lat/UTM's etc, but this is going to be more fun.

Thanks, Yogi, for pushing safety with the Map, Compass and GPS!!

Monty

Lightweight Backpacking
The fun goes up when the weight goes down
-Warner Springs Monty