[Cdt-l] MSR Pocket Rocket

taterno at cox.net taterno at cox.net
Thu Oct 16 15:05:59 CDT 2008

Andy,
I am not a thru hiker (yet), so i can't give you details for long term use.  I have used my Pocket Rocket at 11,000 ft on the PCT for up to a week.  I just heated water for dinner and morning coffee or tea, so I didn't push the canister capacity limit.  I just finished a 3 day hike north of Walker Pass, with temps as low as 27 deg, when trying to use the stove.  The canister needed to be warmed for the fuel to become sufficiently vaporized.  It was also used on the same 3 day hike in very high winds, with just a rock windscreen, and water boiled in no more than 5 minutes.

Backpackinglight.com states that over the course of a long hike, the weight advantage of the alcohol is nearly reached with a canister stove.  I like the convience of canister stoves' instant on and off.

Resupply must be taken into consideration.  Alcohol may have the clear advantage here.

Tom
The Incredible Bulk

---- "Andrew P. Brown" <BROWNANP at student.gvsu.edu> wrote:

Hey All,

I'm heading out on the CDT in April and am debating cashing in my alcohol stove for the MSR Pocket Rocket.

Anybody have experiencing using this stove on a thru-hike?  In particular I would like to know how many uses you got out of your fuel canisters (4 or 8 ounce) and how it performed at elevation (10,000 plus feet).

Thanks for any input ya have.

Andy Brown
AT 2004
PCT 2006