[Cdt-l] gas stoves/fuel Re: Cdt-l Digest, Vol 13, Issue 5

Tom McGinnis sloetoe at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 19 13:17:49 CDT 2008

FWIW, you can really improve the performance of your gas stove by using the lowest octane rating available -- 87, 86, or 85, 82 if you can swing it. "High-test" is specifically formulated to burn slower/cooler than low-test, and although your car might really like it, your stove really hates it. In my ol' Svea 123R and Optimus 8R, the only thing they ever saw was unleaded from the pump. (Actually, they saw their share of leaded back on the AT, but......)

FWIW II, I pretty much go with alcohol now, actually get food faster than with the gas stove in cold-ish weather (single digit stuff). Cozy[s] rule.
http://www.antigravitygear.com