[Cdt-l] Cooking Rice

Patrick 'Daybreak' Stanley daybreak1999 at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 28 21:08:50 CDT 2008

How about cooking that rice?

When I swapped my very good simmering Coleman(AT) and poorly simmering whisperlite international, for esbits (PCT) and then alcohol(AMT/CDT), I gave up on rice dishes. The time and hassle of refilling the alcohol stove was not worth it.  (Nor was carrying a cozy or simmering ring or mailing fuel drops for cartridges or listening to a jet engine in the wilderness...)  A taller alchol stove would give added capacity but my experience is that once hot, the alcohol stove was too hot for rice and needed to be watched too carefully for my tastes. For thru hikes, keep it simple stupid is my motto.  But then again I really miss Zatarains' Red Beans and Rice.  Maybe a wood stove...

Daybreak