[Cdt-l] Hiker Quiz

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 2 17:13:27 CDT 2009

I got a 42.  Sounds low, but the verbal interpretation made me feel
better.

Speaking as someone from the midwest, I thought there was some skewing
toward those with more ready access to high altitude (i.e. Colorado) as
even on the PCT, there was only a brief time I hiked over 14000 (on
Whitney).  A question related to the max daily elevation gain/loss might
be less biased---as would questions regarding average daily miles on
long trails----though that is biased too as AT miles are much more
generally than PCT miles.  I averaged nearly 20 miles per full hiking
day on the PCT, but only about 14 on the AT.  Can't speak for the CDT yet.

We don't have much need for ice ax/crampons here in the east, though on
a winter trip last year they would have come in handy.  To practice
self-arrest, I had to take my ax to an area ski area.  Only got it out
twice on the PCT, though there was at least two other time during a
glissade down from Mt. BadenPowell and on a climb up Mather Pass on June
11 at 6 pm after it was in shadow.

Handlebar
AT06, PCT08, CDT hopeful 10