[Cdt-l] Ice axe in the Winds in July

Thomas Hogeboom thogeboom at fairpoint.net
Mon Apr 27 16:07:34 CDT 2009

I hiked from Old Faithful to Rawlins, Wyoming last July and wished I had
carried an ice axe for part of it.  Specifically, I very much needed one on
Cube Rock Pass and on the 11,500 ft pass next to East Temple Peak, both of
which I did in the morning hours.  On the latter pass, I had to climb above
one very treacherous ice-covered slope to get by.  In other places in the
Winds, the snow was soft and it was more a question of wanting the security
of the axe, as opposed to needing it.  For me, a lot depended on the time of
day, and whether the snow was in shadow or in sun.

I guess it depends on how much snow there was the preceding winter/spring
and how safe you want your trip to be.

You might want to consider bug netting too.

Tim Hogeboom