[Cdt-l] Experience with Llamas

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Tue Apr 28 13:56:57 CDT 2009

While I don't have any direct experience with llama-packing, from the
people I've talked to and stories I've heard, it seems to me that there
is a great deal of variation in the temperament & training from one
llama to the next -- i.e. all llamas & outfitters are not created
equally. I talked to one llama packing outfitter, and they only used
less than half of their total herd for pack animals (perhaps even fewer
if I remember correctly). This particular outfitter was pretty reputable
and experienced. They said that some of the llamas that weren't used
would do things like just "sit down" when they felt like they had enough
walking, or be aggressive (sometimes only to the other llamas). But, the
good ones, were just great; they said there was really nothing to learn
-- you just start walking and they follow along... Anyway, my 2 cents
would just be to get the llama from someone you trust, or has good
references, etc. Also, you might consider structuring your trip so that
you're not too far from a "bail point" after your first couple days, so
if things aren't going well, it's easier to adjust...

-Jonathan