[Cdt-l] Brian and Martina update - SB in Montana

Brian Dickson briansolar1 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 15 10:27:51 CDT 2009

Brian and Martina have hiked SB from Waterton and are now on the Butte Super cut off (or Big Sky variant as we call it).  We have hiked to Butte, then to Whitehall and south from there through the Tobacco Root mountains. We are now in the nice town of Ennis MT- with heavy rain and thunder convincing us that the unplanned stop would be worthwhile. The terrain has been steeper than I thought and more mountainous and open than the CDT north of Butte. We were shown a great hot springs on the Jefferson River about 9 miles south of Whitehall and after a soak took Gold Gulch up into the hills through nice open sagebrush country. It made a pleasant change from the lodge pole pine of the CDT over the last week. Its also been good to roam free a bit more and be more flexible with our route. We have seen no-one on the trail apart from at the holiday home townstead of Mammoth.

Next , we will head up into the Spanish Peaks area to the east, to Big Sky and then onto Yellowstone at Mammoth Hot Springs via hopefully the Skyline Trail. Hope to connect back with the CDT at Two Ocean Pass north of Togwatee Pass.

Have fun out there!
Brian
Black Isle, Scotland
www.aweewalk.blogspot.com