[Cdt-l] GPS and Maps (howzit done?)

Marshall Karon m.karon at comcast.net
Wed Dec 9 22:25:43 CST 2009

I also used the Garmin Vista HCx. I would get the Legend without the
altimeter if the price is better. Never used the altimeter or the electronic
compass. I never found the barometric altimeter to be useful because you
need to calibrate it each time you turn on the unit. The satellite altimeter
was good enough. Besides, with maps indicating your location and the contour
on the map giving you the calculated altitude at that spot (presuming the
maps were correct), you don't really need an altimeter.

The unit worked very well and the battery life is really good. The screen
was adequate. Remembering which buttons to push was a little bit of a
challenge. I used the carrying case for protection. The unit was normally
off - on only when I needed to check where I was (and sometimes, that seemed
like every 5 minutes).

The GPS will NOT keep you from getting "misplaced". The biggest issue was
figuring out which map I was on and where I was on the map. Practice that
before you go. You need to set your GPS up correctly. It would be nice to be
able to put a compass rose on a local map for practicing. Also realize that
not all trails and roads are on the maps (some are new) and some trails and
roads that are on the maps are no longer. But how reassuring it was when the
GPS showed the trail, showed you are on it, and the paper maps were the
same.

As for the GPS maps, I would get the disc and download the maps I wanted
onto the micro SD. That way you always have a backup. Of course, you do need
to select the area you want and that was not always easy.

I only used the TOPO 2008 maps - some details were not so good and sometimes
the maps had the trails wrong in place. Garmin does say the 24K maps are
more up to date and give much more detail.

When you buy, look for a deal on a package - unit plus maps together.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR