[Cdt-l] Okay, trite question - Miles Per Day?

Patrick Beggan meta474 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 20:47:52 CST 2009

I know this has probably been done to death, but I'm looking on a miles per day for the average CDT (that is to say, not the great basin, and not glacier NP with snow, etc. -- the usual I could expect from the summer months for the majority of the trail).

I understand miles change with terrain (I've hiked the PCT twice) so I know it's impossible to give an answer for 100% of the trail. I'm just looking for something I can do math from.

On the PCT I do 30s pretty solidly every day, 19-20s in the Sierras (with an early june entry) with the occasional 40+ in there when I'm really hungry and hauling. I finished in four months on the PCT, with 18 zeros.

Anyway, any information from other fast-ish hikers would be appreciated. I recognize the increased navigational difficulties on the CDT and that can throw you for a loop, etc, etc.

Joker