[Cdt-l] Okay, trite question - Miles Per Day?

Patrick Beggan meta474 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 14:18:20 CST 2009

Yes, I'm willing to cut (and plan to cut) zeros. I only zero'd that much on the PCT because it's almost forced on you in the beginning (if you start from the kickoff), as I took most of those zeros in the desert and still arrived at Kennedy Meadows on June 1st (as planned, though). And then the rest were in the sierras in attempts to dodge the bad weather we had this year. After South Lake Tahoe I took 1 zero, a bunch of neros and averaged 700 miles a month without feeling burned out.

I'll probably take the majority of the cutoffs, the exceptions being the particularly scenic ones. I definitely plan to do the San Juans and such in Colorado and I don't know how it changes the mileage but I want to take the more scenic routes through the Winds and such in Wyoming. Otherwise I'll most likely take the shorter route, although I'm trying to stay flexible.

I'm a good navigator, I've done from Grand Lake to Mt. Elbert in Colorado in 2007 without any difficulty, with the Jonathan Ley maps and wolfe guidebooks. Granted I hear Colorado has the best trail but still, I'm at least familiar with CDT navigation and I've never gotten lost on the PCT, even in the sierras the first time. I have other experience with map-and-compass navigation, too.

Yeah, I'm going to stay flexible on the start date, although I'm definitely going to be trying to start as early as is practical. I've already pretty much written off a high route through Glacier NP as it seems like too much to worry about. If it's doable, I'll totally go that route, but I'm not going to delay my start in an attempt to do the high route. I'll be able to use that saved time to hopefully take higher and more scenic routes in Colorado. Of course, you're right, it depends on conditions and there's no foreknowledge of that available.

Thanks to everyone who has provided an opinion on this issue!

Joker