[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 27, Issue 25

sidselliott at aol.com sidselliott at aol.com
Thu Dec 17 11:22:01 CST 2009

I certainly don't want to scare anyone in regards to stream crossings, but
I am 5'll, and had a bad crossing in the San Juans.  I used all the proper
techniques, but somehow left out good judgement.  I knew the water was too
fast and high, but it I was tired, it was late in the day, and I saw good
campsites on the other side of the stream.  You are welcome to check out
the journal entry below for that day.  I also had two friends that bailed  the
previous year in WY due to "impassable streams."

_http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=ce109bd5f66cd7652647f96035
b2f1b9&entry_id=9792_
(http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=ce109bd5f66cd7652647f96035b2f1b9&entry_id=9792)

That said, I think if you are patient, use good judgement, and take your
time, you can probably find a place to pass safely in many instances.  In
some cases you probably have to be willing to take long detours if  necessary.
 I've crossed streams like the one above, and had no  problems.  The
difference was that I was patient, not tired, and  searched for a safe place to
cross.

Every year is probably different, and every hiker (tall and not so tall)
will probably give you a different answer, depending on conditions in a
particular year.