[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 27, Issue 26

Jim Eagleton eagleton at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 17 14:07:11 CST 2009

I saw the same conditions as CicelyB, and agree fords are not much of a nobo issue.  However, nobo's can increase their chance of death if they really want.  I can only think of a few high crossings that are easily avoided.

1)  The Lower Gila is unlikely to be any safety problem, but if crossings are a negative, this is a very bad route.  It may cause you to bail on the prettier Upper Gila.  However, it is not the official route and also has the infamous Tadpole Ridge bushwhack in the wrong (uphill) direction.

2)  The ford uptream/south of Twin Lake lake/town, is on the opposite end of the lake of the official trail, and has a bridge a mile or so upstream.

3)  The Buffalo River ford, north of Togwotee Pass has a high water alternative at Togwotee Lodge to the west.  This alternative crosses a small gap in the Ley maps, and skips some very nice terrain.  However, it is shorter and safer in very high water (i.e. very early).

4)  There is an easy ford (and not too bad bushwhack) well south of Lake Ann Pass that everyone took to avoid the long walk to the bridge on the official trail.

    What am I forgetting??  There are too many fords to mention for sobos.

Jim

Replying to:

Message: 1