[Cdt-l] Getting from Denver to East Glacier

R Smith ronyon at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 13:29:37 CST 2009

I can't believe I ended up spending so much time pricing different options
out, but curiosity got the best of me!

The best prices I found from Denver to East Glacier ended up being: either
taking Alaska Air to Spokane ($175), then Amtrak to East Glacier ($76).
Total $251. Plus whatever it costs to get from the Spokane Airport to the
train station. OR taking Southwest (wanna getaway rate) from Denver to
Portland ($100), then Amtrak to East Glacier ($150). Total $250. From the
Portland Airport you can take the light rail (~$2) to within easy walking
distance of the Portland train station.

The price I found going through Seattle was taking Southwest (web rate) from
Denver to Seattle ($129), then Amtrak to East Glacier ($150). Total $279.
You can see that the cost difference compared to Portland depends on the
best Southwest Air rate you can get, which could change easily. However,
getting from SeaTac Airport to the Seattle train station will certainly be
more expensive and time consuming. Note that the Seattle and Portland
Amtraks to East Glacier link up in Spokane.

The best rate I found flying from Denver to Kalispell was $280. Add to that
whatever it costs getting from Kalispell to East Glacier puts it out of
contention pricewise, but might be a good option timewise.

It seems like going via Spokane is the winner if you consider both cost and
time, and you don't have to overnight in Spokane. Otherwise, via Portland.

-Ron

From: Jim Eagleton <eagleton at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 17, Issue 2
I think the bus from Alamosa to Denver and the shuttle from East Glacier to
Waterton/Chiefs Mt are a given.  Last year the best way to get from East
Glacier to Denver was by Amtrak to Seattle and Alaska Air to Denver.  It is
important to find discount airlines that will give reasonable one way fares
a short time out.   Unfortunately, the fare structure changes all the time,
and flying to Minneapolis and taking Amtrak the other way may be just as
good next summer.  I don't remember the relative fares to Spokane; it may
have been that the late night arrival time was not desirable.