[Cdt-l] advance reservations for back country sites in Glacier NP

Sam Haraldson samh at samh.net
Fri Feb 6 12:11:53 CST 2009

> Are we thru hikers bound to negotiate for camp sites the day before the hike?
> How big is the risk of plans not working out in that case? Is there no way for
> people like us to work around those date restrictions and get advance
> reservations (which begin to be processed April 15)?

I've met CDT thrus in Glacier who were flip-flopping within the park
due to permit issues.  There are always a certain number of walk-up
permits available for every B.C. site in Glacier so if you decide not
to get advance permits just show up at the permitting office a 1/2
hour before it opens to get in line for first come first served
permits.

There's a pretty decent coverage of backcountry rangers in Glacier so
trying to get away without a permit will be tough without some
seriously stealth activities.  The permitting system is in place for a
reason so working outside of it means you're working against the
ecosystem in the park anyway.  I make this comment to everyone
thinking about attempting that, not the original poster of this
question in particular.  My $0.02, but of course, that being said,
hike your own hike.

 - Sam