[Cdt-l] advance reservations for back country sites in GNP

R Smith ronyon at comcast.net
Fri Feb 6 17:22:32 CST 2009

I hiked from the Chief Mountain trail head to East Glacier last year, using
advanced reservations. I started July 4th. South from Saint Mary I stayed at
Red Eagle Head, Atlantic Creek, then Two Medicine. No Name, Morning Star,
and Old Man were still snowbound, as was the trail via Dawson Pass. That is
why those 3 lakes all have 7/15 opening dates, whereas Red Eagle and
Atlantic, being at a lower altitude, have 6/15 opening dates.

My advice is to apply for advanced reservations for Red Eagle (I recommend
REH), Atlantic, and Two Medicine. If it turns out to be a low snow year and
No Name opens early, you can re-book at the ranger station.

Good luck!

Ron Smith

Message: 4