[Cdt-l] Favorite Alternates

joseph beals bealsjw at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 12:53:59 CST 2009

If you to go see the Gila cliff dwellings(recommended) on Ley map NM34 and don't want to return to the red route, I took the purple route that cuts through little bear canyon??  The route I am referencing is not the Wolf route.  It is a small slot canyon that was really fun to see and there is another cave in there the is pretty neat.  This also allows you to see the southern/eastern end of the middle fork which is better than farther north.
Quite a bit north, on Ley's map CO27 coming out of monarch pass the trail follows the divide for a while, but cuts to the bottom. I took the high route north along the divide to clover mountain.  This avoided a lot of postholing, but exchanged that for talus.  most of the route is easy, but as you approach Monumental peak it gets a bit rugged.  I rejoined the red line at Upper Hancock lake.   I will try to remember others for you. hope these help! -Redbeard