[Cdt-l] Lake City Colorado Campground

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 4 16:11:11 CST 2009

We went to Creede, which is a good town for hikers with everything within easy walking distance.  We got a ride back to the trail by asking at the outdoor store if anyone was willing to take us back out.  We paid some money ($20 I think) but it was worth it not to have a long wait.  We did the same thing in Helena and Pagosa Springs.  Seems to me they didn't even accept money for the ride.  Outdoor stores tend to have employees who are enthusiastic about helping long distance hikers.  We also got a lot of rides by asking motel owners if they knew anyone who would drive us out.  Frequently they drove us out themselves.  We had a lot of good conversations with those good people.
Ginnyhttp://www.spiriteaglehome.com/

From: m.karon at comcast.netTo: ken at gottawalk.com; hikertrash at gmail.comDate: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 12:53:10 -0800CC: cdt-l at backcountry.netSubject: Re: [Cdt-l] Lake City Colorado Campground

Wow, guess I lucked out getting into and out of Lake City. A retired CDT hiker who did trail work picked me up at the pass within 15 minutes and took me into town. On the way out, the then owners of TBears would have driven me back up. But, another section hiker I met (he was driving to road crossings and hiking in and back), took me up. I don’t know what the policy of the current campground is. But, worth asking. I’d gladly pay. I had a great time in Lake City – and the restaurants were great. That was a few years ago.

Marshall Karon Portland, OR
-----Original Message-----From: Ken Powers [mailto:ken at gottawalk.com] Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 12:31 PMTo: Sly; Marshall KaronCc: 'CDT Emaillist'Subject: Re: [Cdt-l] Lake City Colorado Campground

I remember Spring Creek Pass for hitching also. We spent over 2 hours there trying to get a hitch into Lake City. Finally paid some kids camped near there who were mapping the CDT to take us into town.

Getting out of Lake City was even worse. We spent many hours on the street trying to get a ride out of town. Finally a guy from Creede gave us a ride. He had seen us on his way into town, gone to a meeting, and picked us up on his way back home.

Ken