[Cdt-l] Hiking with a dog

Marshall Karon m.karon at comcast.net
Tue Jan 6 23:12:26 CST 2009

Jonathan's comments are very good ones. The same question has been posed on
the PCT-L with the same comments.

I will only add this: the hike is yours and not your dogs. It will follow
you out of love - and could suffer very badly from it. Your dog will need to
train the same as you. You will need to carry food and water for it (there
is a limit to what it can carry in a pack). Perhaps you could have the dog
with you for short sections where there is water, coolness, and the terrain
isn't too bad. I don't know what the National Parks allow (Glacier and
Yellowstone), but normally, dogs aren't allowed. Most dogs really do not
have the stamina to hike 8-10 hours a day like you will. I love dogs, but I
really wouldn't take one on a thru-hike - especially a new one.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR