[Cdt-l] Routes

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 7 17:29:56 CST 2009

I must confess to taking the Antelope Wells route because I enjoyed the idea of ending in the middle of
nowhere in one of least populated parts of the lower 48. The bootheel is known for its isolation.

Ending at a town really did not appeal to me personally. The road walking was not fun,
but the intense solitude and stark terrain was to me (to quote something attributed to
Abe Lincoln:  "People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.")

In 2006, I knew little of the Crazy Cook route. Since I had a friend nice enough to pick me up
at the border, and did not know how to describe how to pick me up, I stuck with  the Antelope Wells
route.

If I had the data I had now, I'd choose the Crazy Cook route or a variation  of it.
 Everytime there was single track trail in New Mexico, it was beautiful.

Finally, this view says it all in the bootheel area:
http://snipurl.com/9lu40  [www_pmags_com]

But that's the beauty of the CDT: So many options, so much to see and so many ways
to make a wonderful hike for *you*.

:)

Cheers!

--Thoreau