[Cdt-l] Resupply from Wind Rivers to Pinedale

Bruce "Buck" Nelson buck at bucktrack.com
Sun Jan 11 14:43:28 CST 2009

Last year I was hiking NOBO and carried enough food to make it all the way between South Pass and Togwotee Pass via the Cirque of Towers. A friend hiking with me on that stretch had a dog that got a little lame. I walked with her and her (good) dog to Elkhart Trailhead and then headed directly back up into the mountains and on to Togwotee without going into Pinedale or resupplying.

Were it not for the side trip I could have done that stretch quite easily in 9 days, faster had I pushed.

If I were to do the CDT again I would hike that section straight through without hitting Pinedale or Big Sandy. Heading into Pinedale will add at least a full day to that stretch. From Elkhart it will probably be a fairly easy hitch but there will be added miles and elevation/gain loss while backtracking or angling to/from the main trail, and it will likely take considerably more hitching time if done from Green River Lakes, which is quieter. Elkhart splits the two sections more evenly. Big Sandy will also add time and miles.

It's a personal call. Lots of those on the CDT! For many folks the shower, hot food and lighter pack will make a stop worthwhile, but it's good to be aware that for most thru-hikers those resupply points are optional.

Colter

Alone Across Alaska: 1,000 Miles of Wilderness
www.bucktrack.com
CDT
http://www.bucktrack.com/Continental_Divide_Trail_Updates.html