[Cdt-l] Planning a CDT Hike

Jim and/or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:58:45 CST 2009

Sly -
We took the shuttle to Waterton in '07 to start the GDT and talked to the shuttle people
about getting a shuttle back to the States from Waterton when we were done in 6 or 8 weeks.
We were told that they could drop us in Canada (one way fare) but that they couldn't bring
us back across the border as a one way trip when we returned.  We solved the problem by
hitching - took us 3 rides to get from Pincher Creek to East Gloacier.  That translates to 2
or 3 rides to get from Waterton to East Clacier.

Or - you can take a taxi from Waterton to the border crossing, get out and walk across the
border and catch the shuttle from Chief Mt.  As I recall, the taxi can't take you across the
border either.  But at least it can get you to Chief Mt. - where you WILL have to deal with
the border patrol.  And that WILL require either a passport or a DL and birth certificate.

Jimhttp://www.spiriteaglehome.com/

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:26:36 -0500From: hikertrash at gmail.comTo: roy_hiking at yahoo.comCC: cdt-l at backcountry.netSubject: Re: [Cdt-l] Planning a CDT HikeAlso...Since you're only doing Glacier, you may want to consider hiking north.  The trail is somewhat more spectacular that way.  It's easy enough to get a shuttle back.  Walking into Canada maybe easier than trying to get in that country over the road and dealing with a border guard. SlyRoy wrote:

I am planning a hike, starting the first week of Aug., to begin in Glacier Park.  I have found, online, a shuttle to the Prince of Wales Hotel.  I will be going from East Glacier, arriving by trail, to the start of the PCT.  I will only be doing the Glacier section this year.First Question?  Will I need a passport and/or other permits to go to the trail head?Second?  What is the process for getting a back county pass? Bayou  My Hiking Journal is active @ http://www.trailjournals.com/bayou/N.O. Tour Page @ http://www.tournola.com