[Cdt-l] Planning a CDT Hike

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Wed Jan 21 18:38:47 CST 2009

This fits our experience in 2002 also. None of the public transit will cross the border. Getting back into the US was a really bad experience for us though.

The shuttle dropped us at the Canadian entry station and we walked to the US entry station. The guard met us at the door and asked us what we were doing. We explained our hike and even presented passports and pictured drivers licenses. We even offered to empty our backpacks. I think it p***ed him off that we had id. He questioned us and really had no alternative but to let us through. His last question was what are you going to do now. We explained that we were going to hitch to East Glacier to be picked up by friends.

We walked about 100 feet away and waited to hitch. He emptied the next several cars. Everyone had to get out, then he emptied the trunks. His parting words to each car were "See those people over there. They want to get a ride to East Glacier. I wouldn't pick them up. They might be carrying guns."

We weren't prepared for this - we had no food and East Glacier was 60 miles away. We decided it was fruitless to try hitching at the entry station. We hiked several miles down the highway before even trying to hitch. We ended up getting a ride St Mary and another to East Glacier.

We still can't figure out what we did to offend that border guard.

Ken
www GottaWalk com