[Cdt-l] Great Basin water source updates

Jeff Braun jbraun at vizsolutions.com
Mon Jul 6 18:28:07 CDT 2009

North bound hikers are starting to head out of Rawlins and as I just
completed this segment between July 1-5, I thought I would provide a
water update. In general all the springs are in good shape right now.
Going from south to north:

Fish Pond Spring - Excellent fenced water source ~11 miles out of
Rawlins (13 miles from downtown Rawlins). Completely redone with two
new vertical cylinders packed in new gravel. A solar panel pumps
water (when the sun is out) from the larger 3' cylinder and you can
get your water directly from it. Otherwise you can walk 50' to the
smaller cylinder for water. Best spring development on the CDT?

Bull Spring - Fenced, full of water to top of vertical culvert,
slightly discolored but tastes fine. Need to wade in if you want to
get water from within the cylinder. Also a solar pump to fill two
nearby water troughs.

Upper Stewart Creek Well - solar panel might be here. Cows in the
area, but off trail.

Unnamed Spring - did not visit

Divide Well - no solar panel. (Note solar panel west of the trail
just before the Divide Well connects to a well but not sure where the
water is pumped to, but I expect to water cows further west.)

A&M Reservoir - water level looks like it is probably down a few feet
since it was refilled in 2007. Clear water, slightly discolored.
Trout were jumping.

Lost Soldier Creek  - off trail, did not visit.

Crooks Creek - Drum with valve near trail still working. Not sure
where the water comes from.

Brenton Spring - Good fenced spring.

Magpie Creek - dry

West Arapahoe Creek - 1st spring has gross looking water with full
impoundment below it. Second creek was drying up - water was flowing
north of the trail at the fence line, but cows are currently in that
pasture north of the fence.

Haypress Reservoirs (2) - clear but dark color. Slight dirty taste,
would avoid relying on this supply. No cows in the area.

State Section Reservoir  -  clear, amber color, Strong dirty taste
and cows in the area. I would avoid using it.

Alkali Creek - dry or mud holes

Coyote Lake - dry

Coyote Gulch 1 - (Wolf 20.5) pools of clear water, cows in the area
but water seems fine.

Coyote Gulch 2 - (Wolf 16.3) Drying up, pools of clear water, cows in
the area but water seems fine.

Weasel Spring - Very good fenced spring with covered culvert to access water.

Upper Mormon Spring - good unfenced spring, no cows in this area

Harris Slough - dry

Sweetwater River - lots of water here

Jeff