[Cdt-l] Glacier NP update

Brian Dickson briansolar1 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 24 12:58:59 CDT 2009

Hi ,
Brian and Martina have flipped up to Canada and have hiked from Waterton down to East Glacier. The park was spectacular and getting permits was easy with the rangers in Apgar/west Glacier being super helpful. Some notes on Glacier:

-Going to the sun road has a free bus service now that runs from 7am to 7pm every 30mins or so. It allowed us to resupply at St Marys after 3 days and return to the trail without hassle.

-The Mt Morgan / Flinscher Peak trail variant on Jonathans map was probably the best 4 miles we have hiked so far- a must do! It looked to us that No Name campsite is closed though. We camped at Oldman Lake which has a 2mile drop off the trail.

-we followed the Highline Trail all the way to the 'Sun Road. This is shorter than going into Many Glacier on the CDT and the views were super spectacular (we also did deviations up to Swiftcurrent Pass and over the other side for a mile + up to Glacier Lookout from Glacier Chalet- the latter again was superb and a highlight).

-wildlife and wildflowers are great. Kootenai Lakes campground had 10 moose grazing in the lake about 200yrds from the tent

Some apprehension now at entering the Bob Marshall and its grizzlies. We have met Ted and richard here and will probably hike thru the Bob with Richard at least (ted is going up to Chief Mountain).

brian (and martina)
Black Isle Scotland
www.aweewalk.blogspot.com