[Cdt-l] Reason and Cruiser back in Chama

Todd DeLuca todddeluca at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 18:12:09 CDT 2009

Not much to report, since we only went about 5 miles before turning
around.  Cruiser and I hiked up out of Cumbres Pass yesterday ~1pm,
climbed past Wolf Creek, and took a break when we reached the county
line / fence.  The logging for the next mile or so has mostly
obliterated the trail and makes for slow going, as half the forest
seems to be laying perpendicular to the direction of the trail.  And
it started snowing.  By the time we reached the right turn in Paul
Bunyan's zigzag wood fence at the base of the ridge, the snow, wind
and fog helped us decide to camp early.  The snow turned to rain from
5 pm to 4 am and then back to snow, continuing until we got a hitch
back to Chama from Cumbres Pass around noon today.  How exciting!
(And wet and cold.)  Yep, we did the logged section twice.  It gets
easier with practice.

I think Colorado was trying to remind us of the CDT's reputation for
brutality.  NM was so gentle and kind that we had forgotten.

Tomorrow we'll try again, most likely on the forest roads to Pagosa
Springs, unless the sun convinces us otherwise.

Happy trails,
Reason
--
Todd DeLuca