[Cdt-l] Twin Lakes to Salida

Brian Dickson briansolar1 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jun 22 15:22:31 CDT 2009

Hi ,
we hiked down to Monarch Pass from Twin Lakes CO the last few days and had a great time in scenic, snowy mountain country on the CDT. here is a quick update on conditions:

Hope Pass south of Twin Lakes- clear of snow apart from small patches
Lake Anne Pass- north side snowy into the trees but quite passable, south side clear. beautiful views.
Some snow around the alpine rail tunnel but it wasn't a problem

We met both san gabriel and out of order coming the other way and both were in good shape and spirits! Especially impressive for O-O-O who met at the Mirror Lake inlet river in pouring rain. The crossing looked knee deep and we both procastinated until a jeep came along and gave the 3 of us lifts across which was nice.

we are still aiming for the San Juans to Wolf Creek Pass and look forward to seeing other hikers out there. Oh, Circle R Motel in salida is a great friendly place to chill out!

brian (and martina) from Scotland
www.aweewalk.blogspot.com